Can you believe 2014 is right around the bend? I can hardly believe it, but another year in sunny Southern California has been written in the books and we’re about to embark on a new adventure. If you’re a busy bee like me, you barely have time to comprehend that 2013 is ending, let alone plan a New Year’s Eve celebration. Right? Right. Well, Luckily there are a couple of easy things you can do to make even the smallest and unplanned of get togethers feel extra special.
DRINKS // Let’s start with what matters most. I have to admit – I’ve had my fair share of cocktails this holiday season, starting with Thanksgiving. It’s hard not to get sucked into indulging during this time of year, especially with all the parties and get-togethers going on (woohoo!). Luckily I recently discovered the wonder that is the kombucha cocktail (first time was at Sage in Culver City) which makes having an extra drink or two, a bit more guilt-free!
For those of you who aren’t so familiar with komucha, it’s an ancient probiotic tea that is fermented tea drink, naturally rich in friendly probiotics and high in antioxidants + nutrients. My favorite of all time is the Pink Lady Apple from local LA company, Healthade! Anyway, kombucha has been used in countless cultures to help improve health, in particular to boost immunity and energy, balance metabolism, and aid in digestion to boot. So naturally, pairing it with a spirit makes drinking healthy, right?
My friend Melanie and I decided to take our favorite Healthade Kombucha flavors and turn them into the perfect sipables for bringing in the New Year. We start off with a light and refreshing number called “The Petticoat” that I discovered over on Bliss Tree. We changed it up a little bit by using honey syrup and raw honeycomb to garnish (along with a sprig of rosemary) which proved to be quite tasty!
1.5 oz St. Germain
2 oz Healthade Kombucha, Original Flavor
1 teaspoon honey syrup
Raw honeycomb to garnish
Toothpick + sprig of rosemary
1. Add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Add in 1.5 oz of St. Germain, then 2 oz of Original Flavor Healthade Kombucha. Pour out a teaspoon of honey syrup and drizzle into shaker. Place top on and shake for 15 seconds.
2. Place a few ice cubes into a small mason jar, then pour. Garnish with a slice of raw honeycomb through a toothpick and rosemary.
GARNISH // Make your drinks extraordinary with unexpected garnishes. A fun way to do this is to have a garnish bar and let your guests top their drinks off with whatever they please. Raw honeycomb, rosemary, citrus slices and berries are just a few examples.
DECOR // If you’re in a pinch and not sure what kind of look or Pinterest theme you’re going for – here’s a few easy ways to dress up your party table for NYE. Fresh, local blooms like this Winter White arrangement with white hydrangea, roses, tulips, ornamental kale + cedar greens from Anthony’s Flowers, are a no-brainer. Adding a bunch of mini disco balls like these to the party table = so fun and adds just the right amount of sparkle. Last but not least, let there be noise! Well, noisemakers that is. You’ll be so glad you have these once midnight rolls around.
The “Bloody Pom Kom” is a great libation to toast with at midnight, instead of plain ole’ champagne. With a mix of pomegranate, blood orange and grapefruit flavors, it’s sure one heck of a sweet + tangy drink!
Bloody Pom Kom
2 oz Fresh squeezed blood orange juice
1 oz Campari
2 oz Pomegranate Healthade Kombucha
2-4 oz of Champagne (depending on preference)
1. Add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Add in 2 oz of fresh squeezed blood orange juice, then the 1 oz of Campari. Next, add in 2 oz Pomegranate Heathade Kombucha (you can add more, depending on preferred taste). Place top on and shake, shake, shake!
2. Pour concoction into a tall glass and garnish with a slice of blood orange. Top off with champagne Cheers!
Next up is what I call the “Janey Appleseed” – get it? Since I’m a total bourbon gal and the Pink Lady Apple is my favorite, I wanted to pair the two up for a sweet drink with a kick.
The Janey Appleseed
1 oz Bourbon (I used Bulleit)
2 oz Pink Lady Apple Healthade Kombucha
Dash of bitters (I used Angostura)
Pink lady apple + lemon to garnish
1. Add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Pour in 1 oz of bourbon, then the 2 oz Pink Lady Apple Heathade Kombucha. Add in a dash of bitters, then place top on and shake.
2. Add in a handful of ice cubes into a rocks glass, then pour drink over ice. Add a slice of pink lady apple to garnish and a twist of lemon peel.
– – –
Well there you have it. You know that tomorrow evening I’ll be toasting in 2014 and #takingtheleap with kombucha cocktails. Won’t you join me?
*This post has been a partnership with Health-Ade Kombucha, but all thoughts and opinions are my own!